Somak Aditya is a Research Scientist in Adobe Research Bigdata Experience Labs. He is based in Bangalore, India.
Somak completed his Ph.D. at Arizona State University in Computer Science in August 2018. During his Ph.D. under the guidance of Prof. Chitta Baral (present President of KR.inc) and Dr. Yezhou Yang, he investigated how background knowledge and explicit reasoning can aid image understanding. His dissertation is Knowledge and Reasoning for Image Understanding. He completed his Masters from Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore, and Bachelors from Jadavpur University, West Bengal.
He has worked for three years as a Specialist Software Engineer in Strand Life Sciences and as a Senior Software Engineer in Yahoo! During his doctoral studies, he has interned in IBM Research Labs, India and Verisk Analytics, Chi Labs, New Jersey.
His research interests include probabilistic logical reasoning, knowledge representation and reasoning, and machine learning. He is a big believer in multi-disciplinary efforts to solve fundamental problems.
- Organizing Committee – Organized the first workshop of “R2K: Integrating learning of Representations and models with deductive Reasoning that leverages Knowledge” collocated with KR, 2018.
- Panel Member
- IJCAI 2019 DC Career Panel
- Conference Reviewer: IJCAI, AAAI
- Journal Reviewer: AIJ, CVIU, IEEE TIP, The Visual Computer, Robotics and Autonomous Systems (RAS)
- Program Committee Member: Cognitive Vision 2019 (at MIT)